Do you know what PMB is and how it helps you improve your SEO? There comes a time in the professional career of every administrator when he has to decide on software to manage his library.
Among the Integrated Library Management Systems ( SIGB ) there are several options, with PMB being one of the most interesting. This platform offers numerous possibilities and facilities for file managers and users.
Likewise, this software is not limited to knowledge management. It also offers relevant and innovative solutions, such as improving the SEO positioning of your website. In this article you will learn what PMB is and how it can help you in coordinating your library.
Table of Contents
What is PMB: definition and characteristics
Before diving into the subject it is interesting to know what PMB is. It is an open source multilanguage software developed by the French company PMB Services . It consists of several modules that help control information and interact with users. This web application is based on an HTTP server (it can be Apache, although it is not mandatory) in a MySQL database and in the PHP language. Its interface is easy to use and, in addition, it is completely free.
Its functionalities adapt to the needs of documentalists and information administrators, regardless of the size and type of structure . The list of facilities that PMB offers to managers is very complete:
- Management of all physical and digital funds.
- Standardization of the documentary collection.
- Native integration of RFID solutions (radio frequency identification).
- Direct communication with users.
- Monitoring of all activities through statistical tools.
- Fund valuation with a fully customized document library.
- Internal user management or synchronization with an LDAP / AD directory.
- Management of new varieties.
What are the PMB modules?
The best way to understand what PMB is is to know the functions of each module. They are extremely easy to operate and offer amenities to the library manager:
- Administration . It facilitates control over the rest of the modules. In addition, it enables the administration of the OPAC, the control of the library service and the updating of the databases. Other aspects that can be controlled are the tools for exporting and importing data and the configuration of the Z39.50.
- Circulation . Thanks to its comfortable interface, working inside this module becomes a quick and efficient task. It allows the control of the loan, the identification, location and status of any publication or user.
- Cataloging . Its flexible registration system makes document cataloging an easy and immediate process. It also complies with the current UNIMARC standard.
- Authorities . The administrator can create, edit, and delete names, publishers, serial authority records, subjects, uniform titles, and classification code. That is, it has full control through a system that monitors any detail in the normalization of the information.
- DSI . This module streamlines the alert service in order to increase queries to the system.
- OPAC . It has a search service on the Web platform that allows data to be recovered dynamically and with excellent results. It is also very useful to manage the book reserve and to renew loans.
- Reports . Users have at their disposal a complete service of customizable statistics and reports .
Points for and against PMB
Betting on this Integrated Library Management System has several advantages, but also its drawbacks. Consider both sides of the coin before you start using it:
- Simply install it on a single computer. From that moment it can be accessed from any computer through the Internet or Intranet to manage it.
- Thanks to its open architecture, free software adapts perfectly to the needs of each administrator.
- It allows working with various Operating Systems. Its use is not limited to Linux, but also allows you to work with Windows. This does not happen with other open source softwares like Koha .
- The web platform makes work easy, simple and intuitive.
- Librarians and expert engineers guarantee its effectiveness.
- In Spain its use is not yet widespread, but in South America, on the other hand, it is increasingly present.
- The user community is still small, and this makes it difficult to exchange opinions and ask questions.
- The Unimarc bibliographic format can cause problems due to its complexity.
Where can the PMB be applied?
When asking what PMB is, it is common to not know in which areas it can be used. This flexible software adapts to different business sectors with specific funds and uses . Of course, always in spaces linked to the management of information and knowledge.
- Public libraries . These institutions assume very diverse roles: Acquire and catalog the documentary collection, organize cultural events, etc. PMB provides them with multiple functionalities to carry out these tasks, such as digital loans and personalized services.
- Specialized libraries . These centers collect and retain a complete set of documents related to a specific field. With PMB they have a flexible document management tool that makes it easy to describe and index documents.
- Research centers of academic centers . Professors, researchers and students access these places to continue their studies. Document management in this situation in this space requires efficient software that makes work easier for users and institutions. PMB facilitates the production of documentary files and the generation of communication tools .
- Business documentation centers. They are the documentary basis of an establishment. They also produce products such as thematic files, descriptions, or press reviews. The software allows a more comfortable monitoring job, thus ensuring a high level of information. In this way, documentary filmmakers can better capitalize, enrich and disseminate knowledge.
- Knowledge bases . Searching for information is often tedious and waste valuable time for the worker. Also, documents are sometimes lost, which means searching again. Thanks to PMB, companies can create complex databases to capitalize, improve and disseminate information.
How to improve the web positioning of a library
Now that you know what PMB is, it’s time to know how you can improve the SEO of your library. There are several aspects that you should pay attention to, such as keywords or website optimization.
Find the best keywords for your page
How it happens when looking to improve the positioning of websites, keywords are also of paramount importance here . The keywords that you are going to implement in your library have to meet the following three requirements:
- Commonly used words . They are keywords that potential clients use when they use search engines. Do not rely on assumptions, investigate and use various tools until you find them.
- Easy to position . ” Library ” and ” reading ” are commonly used, but complex words for better placement. Look for less requested and more specific terms, the so-called long tail keywords . They will provide more targeted and higher value traffic.
- Of great interest . They have to cause a traffic of people potentially interested in your offer. For example, ” literature workshop “, ” new book by Juan Gómez-Jurado ” or ” book books online “.
Correctly optimize the website
Improving various aspects of a website is similar to filling in the fields of an OPAC. With the keywords defined, you have to incorporate them into the URLs that you want to position. You have to pay special attention to these points:
- URL . The Keyword has to be as close as possible to the main domain.
- Title tag . It is the one that appears in the browser bar and what is shown in blue in the search results.
- Title and subtitle. In these headings you have to place the keywords. It is also advisable to put synonyms for these keywords.
- Images . A photo is invisible to Google robots if it doesn’t have a label that describes it. The keyword must be placed in the Title and Alt tags of the image.
Create a sitemap of your library’s OPAC catalog
The sitemap is a map of the website detailing all of its URLs. The XML format is the most common to create it, but you can do it in other formats, such as txt . You can choose various tools to perform this action, these being the most common:
These tools allow you to remove URLs of no use, prioritize pages, and set the time interval for robot tracking.
Once the map is created, you have to place it on your server so that Google robots can locate and index it. Finally, introduce this sitemap in Google’s webmaster tools.
Today, it is essential to be visible. The second page of Google results is practically like not existing. Therefore, it is essential to have an excellent positioning strategy and this involves knowing what PMB is and how it can help you improve SEO.